La Chapelle de Sainte-Anne-de-Beaumont


167 0

Comments


Description
This magnificent little chapel sits on the banks of the Petitcodiac River, in the Memramcook region of New Brunswick. Its construction was a joint project of Acadians and the Mi’kmaq community that had settled in the area around 1839. The construction of the chapel was completed in 1842; the first mass was celebrated in 1843. In 1990, Sainte-Anne-de-Beaumont was recognized as a provincial historic site. Since then, the site has experienced a revival, becoming an important tourist and cultural attraction for the region. The building to the left of the chapel is the original rectory. The flags on the two poles in front are the Acadian flag – the French ‘tricouleur’ with a gold star in the upper corner, and, that of the Mi’kmaq Grand Council. Certainly worth a visit if you are in nearby Moncton, Dorchester or Memramcook.
Taken By
Bernie Ewing
Taken On
April 14, 2020
Tagged
historical church acadian mi kmaq
  • Camera: NIKON D7000
  • Focal: 46
  • Shutter speed: 0.003125 sec
  • Aperture: f/ 9

Other Photos by Bernie